By Jeff Waite on Nov 19, 2022 2:00:00 PM
When looking for a hairpiece, it’s easy to get caught up in the details, like the style, length, and color of the hair system. However, the hair type is one of the first choices you should make as a crucial determining factor in the overall look and feel of the hairpiece.
Hair replacement systems are made from three types of hair: synthetic hair, human hair, and Remy hair. You’re probably wondering what the difference is between them all. We broke down the key characteristics of the three hair types and the pros and cons of each to help you make an informed decision.
Pro Fiber (Synthetic)
Pro-fiber hair, also called synthetic hair, is made of synthetic fibers. Thanks to recent technological advancements, synthetic hair replicates natural hair to an exceptionally high standard. The density and texture are so close to the real thing that they make very natural-looking hairpieces.
Synthetic Hair Pros:
- Less expensive than human hair alternatives.
- Low maintenance. Synthetic hair doesn’t need styling. It retains its shape well (even with water) and is resistant to humidity, meaning you don’t have to worry about frizz!
- The lightweight fibers are better at keeping you cool in the hot summer months.
Synthetic Hair Cons:
- Not as versatile as human hair. Synthetic hair cannot be colored or styled with heated hair styling tools as they damage the fibers, and you can’t cut it into a new style as it will look irregular.
- Less durable than human hair. You can expect synthetic hair wigs and hairpieces to last between 4 and 6 months.
Human hair looks and feels like the real thing because it is! The hair is often taken from multiple donors, and the roots and the tips are mixed up, so the hair cuticles are not all running in the same direction. To resolve this, the hair undergoes a chemical process to remove the cuticles before being dipped in silicone to make it shine and prevent matting and tangling. The hair is then cleaned and dyed, ready to be woven into natural human hair wigs. However, with time the silicone layer will wash off, resulting in more brittle and dull-looking hair.
Human Hair Pros:
- More natural-looking and feeling than synthetic hair, for obvious reasons!
- Greater flexibility and styling. It can be curled, permed, straightened, cut, and dyed like normal hair.
- More durable than synthetic hair. Natural human hair wigs can last up to 10 months with proper care and maintenance.
- It can be matched to your natural hair with greater precision.
Human Hair Cons:
- More expensive than synthetic hair.
- Higher maintenance than synthetic hair. Natural human hair wigs must be regularly washed and deep conditioned to preserve their natural shine and soft texture. They also require periodic coloring as the original color oxidizes over time.
Remy hair is another type of human hair. The term Remy refers to the hair’s unique characteristics and manufacturing process. Here, the hair is cut from the donor’s head with the cuticles intact and flowing in the same direction, from root to tip. This technique reduces common hair problems, such as tangling, matting, and dullness, that ultimately affect the longevity of the hairpiece. It also preserves the hair’s natural quality and shine, adding to the many reasons why Remy hair is considered a premium hair type.
Remy Hair Pros:
- The most durable hair type. With proper care and maintenance, Remy hair wigs can last up to a year.
- 100% natural hair, with no chemical process involved.
- Naturally soft, shiny, and tangle-free.
- It can be curled, permed, straightened, cut, and dyed like normal hair.
- The hair can be matched to your real hair with great precision.
- The most easily managed hair type.
Remy Hair Cons:
- The most expensive hair type.
Which hair type is best for me?
Your best hair type will depend on your budget, lifestyle, and desired look. A synthetic hair system ticks the box if you’re looking for a short-term, cost-effective wig that requires little maintenance and styling. If you are looking for the most natural-looking and long-lasting hair system and budget isn’t a concern, then it’s a no-brainer - Remy hair! Natural human hair is a good option if you sit between those two.
Now you’ve decided on a hair type, you can start thinking about all the fun things, like hair length, density, texture, color, gray, and highlights - if you’ve opted for a custom wig. Remember, custom hairpieces offer a higher level of personalization and precision than stock hair systems. Read all about it in our blog, A Beginner’s Guide to Men’s Hairpieces: Custom vs. Pre-made. You can also check Advent Hair’s hair replacement system price list here.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to get in touch. We provide a 24-hour support system to answer any questions you may have, even after you’ve received and started using your hair units. You can also check out our FAQs and resources section, where you can access our buyer’s guides and blogs with plenty of hot tips and valuable information.