By Jeff Waite on Jun 16, 2017 5:02:59 PM
Choosing the correct adhesive is the key to enjoying your hairpiece on a daily basis. Choosing the right allows you to do pretty much anything while wearing your hairpiece: from dancing all night to swimming, the possibilities are endless. So it’s no wonder that picking an adhesive can be a daunting task at first. Adhesives are a very personal thing and not everyone will react the same to one adhesive in particular, and this just adds to the whole difficulty of choosing the right one.
With so many adhesive options available on today’s market one of the best ways to find the right one for you is by trial and error. Now, we know that might sound a little disheartening, and that’s exactly why we created this handy adhesive list. We want to help you with this very personal choice by giving you the best options depending on your personal needs.
The first thing you need to consider when choosing an adhesive is your skin type. Every scalp is different and not every adhesive will work for you. For example, if you have an oily skin you may want to choose one that provides a stronger hold.
Here are some options:
- Ultra Hold from Walker Tape: Super sticky, super flexible and super long lasting. The new benchmark in wig & hairpiece tapes. It’s also available in 1.5″ thick rolls for lots of fast coverage. Depending on the temperature, humidity, and body oils this tape can last up to 6 weeks.
- SuperTape Contours (ST30): Keep everything in place with Supertape ST30 from Advent Hair. ST30 Super Tape promises “No meltdown, no goo”, so you can be relaxing that your hair system will stay in place as long as you need it to. With this adhesive you can expect a 10-30 day hold. It’s formulated with a water-based adhesive and it is friendly to both your skin and the environment.
Another thing you have to consider is how sensitive your scalp is. Try the following tapes if you happen to have a sensitive scalp:
- No Shine Tape Straight from Walker: An outstanding extended wear bonding tape with a reduced shine (dull finish) that is hypoallergenic and waterproof. Ideal for attaching thin skin units and lace units with light density as the outline of the tape will not show, nor will it shine. Typically provides a 3 week hold.
- Euro Flex Bonding Adhesive Strip: These are medical grade strips for bonding all types of hair systems to your head without the mess of liquid bonding adhesives. You can expect a 1- 2 week hold.
If you choose to bond and remove your hairpiece on a regular basis you should choose a low-tack tape. There are some adhesives that are designed for short-term use so you can safely remove them whenever you want. For example:
- Red Liner Sensi-Tak Roll: Red Liner Rolls are a very popular choice for most hair wearers. It can be used for daily wear, as well as for the underlying tape for perimeter bond attachment.
If you want to avoid having the tape shine through the lace base you should try the following tapes:
- Walker No Shine Bonding Tape: this is an outstanding extended wear tape with superior reduced shine. Most wearers report a solid 2 - 3 week hold.
- 3 Mil Lace Front Thin Tape Contour: The thinnest, most undetectable tape in the market. Just perfect for attaching lace bases to your scalp.
If you prefer liquid adhesives here are some available options for you:
- Have you ever had problems getting a long-lasting bond? Then you should try Walker’s Ultra Hold. It’s an excellent acrylic adhesive suitable for both perimeter bonding and full head bonds. This adhesive can easily provide up to 4 weeks of super-strength attachment.
- Perma Rite #7 Euro Bond: It's an excellent and well proven adhesive for full head bonding. Most people that try this prefer it over all other brands.
- Ghost Bond Platinum from Pro Hair Labs: This adhesive works remarkably well for those individuals that live in humid areas or heavily perspire during their exercise sessions. This bond is friendly to your skin, as it's free from latex and other harmful ingredients. It is perfectly adaptable for both poly skin grafts and french lace hair systems.
- Vapon No Tape Silicone Bonding Adhesive: For extended wear that lasts up 2 - 4 weeks, secure your full lace or lace front hairpiece with Vapon No Tape Adhesive. This silicone hairpiece adhesive is available in a 1 oz tube for an easy, mess-free application. It can be applied directly to the hairpieces’ polyurethane perimeter or to hairpiece tape.
As you can see, choosing the right adhesive for you can be overwhelming. But it is very important to find the correct one so you can feel comfortable in any situation while wearing your hairpiece.
Got any other question for us? Feel free to give us a call at our toll-free number 1-800-756-8585. We’ll be more than happy to help you with any other burning questions or doubts you might have!