By Jeff Waite on Jun 4, 2021 3:00:00 PM
Entering the world of hair wearers for the first time can feel overwhelming. With the seemingly endless offer of hair replacement solutions, systems, materials, and structures, it is hard to know where to start. That’s why we’re here to help!
The first step when buying a hair system is to decide whether you want a stock (pre-made) or custom hair system. Each hairpiece has its advantages and depends on your personal needs to suit your lifestyle and preferred look. You’re probably wondering what the difference is between the two, so here’s a quick summary:
Custom vs. Pre-Made
Pre-made stock hairpieces are pre-manufactured using popular base materials. If you’re looking for a quick and budget-friendly solution this could be the best hair replacement system for you:
- The base sizes range from 7” x 9” and 8” x 10” with various different attachment styles available.
- The larger size is the most popular and it can be trimmed down to a smaller size if needed.
- Many colors and grey combinations are available.
- You can choose between different lengths, densities, and styles.
- Delivery time is 7 days which means you can be wearing your new hairpiece in no time at all.
A pre-made stock hairpiece is a good option if you are experimenting with hair replacement systems for the first time and want to get a sense of what you like before committing to just one specially designed custom hair system.
Custom hairpieces are the best option if you want your hairpiece to have specific, fine-tuned features that are important to you:
- Made to fit the exact dimensions of your head.
- Undetectable hairlines that guarantee a natural look to make you feel your best.
- An extensive selection of colors, densities, styles, and materials are available in order to create the perfect hairpiece and fine-tune any unique features.
- Highlights can either be blended or chunked.
- Selection of every type of hair system including full-size caps, ¾ caps, top-of-head, and integration pieces.
- They take 6-7 weeks to build for you.
Custom hairpieces tend to be the most popular option amongst our customers as it allows them to create a hairpiece that is unique to them. While there are plenty of stock hairpiece options, a custom hair system is a perfect choice if you’re looking for a higher level of personalization. Whilst stock hair systems are considered to be the convenient and cost-effective option, you may be surprised by the low hair system cost of a custom hairpiece at Advent Hair. Unlike hair replacement salons, we are a factory-direct distributor. That means that we don’t have all the extra expenses of a salon and we eliminate the middlemen that lead to costly hair system markups. Instead, we are able to maintain a low hair system cost allowing you to save substantial money by ordering your custom hair systems directly from the factory.
Custom Hair Systems for Women
When it comes to custom hair systems for women, there are a number of things you will need to consider when designing your unique custom hairpiece. These include coverage, base material, frontal hairline material, hair color, hair type, hair density, hair length, and hair texture. But first, let’s explore the range of hair systems for women available.
What are the different types of hair systems for women?
There are two types of women’s hair systems, named after the coverage they provide:
- Full Wig
Let’s have a quick look at each hair system in detail:
As the name implies, this hair system is location-specific for those who suffer from hair loss on the crown of the head. These types of hair systems are usually oval or round-shaped and range in size from 4” x 6” to 8” x 10”. They are available in the following base materials, ranked from least to most breathable: Skin Graft, Fine Mono, French Lace.
- Full Wig
The Full Cap extends from the front of your head to the nape of your neck. It is a comfortable and comprehensive hair system with a flattering and natural front appearance, due to the positioning of the wig. The hair density, as with all the hairpieces we provide, is determined by your own personal hair specifications. As a general rule, the denser the hair, the more durable the hair system base material should be.
Custom Hair Systems for Men
Choosing custom hairpieces for men is a little more simple as the options are cut down to two: Top-of-Head and Full Wigs. Of course, you will still have the opportunity to fine-tune all the other details such as base material, hair color, frontal hairline material, hair type, hair density, hair length, and hair texture.
Often referred to as toupees, the top-of-head wigs for men offer a minimal, less intrusive option to augment your hair volume. The largest base size for these systems is 8” x 10”. Toupees are available in all of the popular base materials: Fine Mono, French Lace, and Swiss Lace. Top-of-head hairpieces can also be made with a Skin Graft using poly skin. Like all hair systems, the length of time that you can wear your toupee depends on the base material and its suitable attachment methods, but we will touch on that later!
- Full Wig
Full Head Wigs are a comprehensive option, providing full coverage that extends from the front of your head to the nape of your neck. These are available in the same base materials as the toupee, however, most clients opt for Fine Mono, French Lace, or Skin Graft. Poly skin is not recommended in this case as it traps unwanted heat.
What are the different base materials and attachment methods available for Custom Hair Systems, and which is most suitable for me?
At Advent Hair, we provide a choice of three popular base materials for men and women’s custom hair systems: Fine Mono, Skin Graft, and French Lace.
- Fine Mono Base: Fine monofilament is a good base for beginners.
- Skin Graft Base: A smooth, skin-like material with varying levels of thickness.
- French Lace Base: A breathable lace mesh that allows the scalp to be seen, creating a realistic look. Ideal for lighter hair densities.
To help you determine which base material is most suitable for you, there are two things you need to consider:
- Hair density: This is critical to achieving a realistic and natural look that is age-appropriate for you. We recommend a lace base for extra-light to medium hair density and a Fine Mono base for medium to extra-heavy hair density. Skin grafts are appropriate for all hair densities.
- Wear time: How long you wish to wear your hair system before removing it. Some people only wear their hair during the day and remove it at night, whilst others prefer to wear their hair for 2 to 4 weeks before removing it. It all depends on your lifestyle and personal comfort!
Depending on the density and base material of your hairpiece, as well as the amount of time you want to wear your hair system at one time, we can suggest an appropriate attachment method from the following four options:
- Daily tape:
- Available in many types, contours, and widths.
- Generally holds for 1 day.
- Pro-Flex and Ultra Hold may hold for several days.
- No Shine and Blue Lace are recommended for lace material.
- Bonding tape:
- Often known as Geo Bond.
- Holds for 1 to 3 weeks.
- Easy to apply and remove.
- Popular brands include Euro Flex, Super Tape, No Shine.
- Perimeter bonding:
- Commonly known as PolyFuse.
- Holds for 3 to 4 weeks.
- Use Red Line Sensi-Tak tape with an adhesive like Vapon No Tape, Perma Rite, or Max Grafting.
- Full head bonding:
- Consists of applying a medical-grade adhesive to your scalp to attach the hair system like a second layer of skin.
- Holds for 2 to 4 weeks.
- Popular brands include Ghost Bond, Adhere 360, and Euro Bond.
Unlike stock hair systems, anything is possible with a custom hair system! At Advent Hair, we provide you with a huge variety of options so that you can tailor your custom hairpiece exactly as you want it. Every inch of your custom hair system is made with the utmost care and attention to detail.
With the right custom hair care and maintenance, you can extend the lifespan of your custom hairpiece and keep it looking great. We offer a huge variety of supplies from leading hair replacement suppliers that allow you to maintain your own hair system in the privacy of your home, therefore reducing your overall hair replacement system cost.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to get in touch. We’re always here to help! You can also check out our FAQs and resources section where you can gain access to our buyer’s guides and blogs that offer plenty of hot tips and useful information.
Got any other question for us? Feel free to give us a call at our toll-free number.
We're more than happy to help you with any questions or concerns that you may have!